Kulturportal LUND

 

The Lindfors House (Lindforska huset)

 

LindforskaFoto: Claes Wahlöö

The house is situated in its original position and named after Professor Anders Otto Lindfors who was the owner from 1818 to 1841. The house has been modified and adapted many times by the cultural museum (Kulturen). The last time for the University Museum, which opened in 1997, when the ground floor rooms from the 19th century were restored. Following its purchase by the cultural museum, the exterior of the house regained its original appearance in 1898.

After its acquisition, the interior walls were demolished in order to create two large exhibition halls to the west and east. The house is a typical example of good bourgeoisie living and situated on a plot where several other estate premises once stood. Typical for its period, it is a half-timbered building with its beams initially visible but which were plastered over in the early 19th century. The large attic room facing the courtyard was also added in the early 19th century.

Lindfors died in 1841 after which the house was owned by his widow until 1882. Lindfors purchased the property from the fencing master at Lund University, Per Henrik Ling, who was owner of the house from 1807 until 1818. Ling is best known as “the father of Swedish gymnastics” and someone who tried his luck in becoming a poet in the Gothic spirit.

The entire ground floor of the building is occupied by the University Historical Museum, covering Lund University from its founding in 1666 to the present day. The offices of the cultural museum, Kulturen, are currently located on the second floor of the building.