The Drotten church ruins

 

The Drotten church ruins date from approximately 1050. The church was a 50 m long structure of unusual shape, probably indicating Drottenthat it was intended for a bishop.

The remains of the medieval stone church were found during archaeological excavations in 1970 -1980. Traces of an older wooden stave church were also found during the excavations. It is believed that this church was built by the Danish king Sweyn Forkbeard around the year 990, thus making it the oldest church in Skåne.

     

It is not clear whether the name of the church in the Middle Ages was indeed Saint Drotten. On maps and in texts dating from the 12th century, the church is sometimes referred to as Saint Salvator (The Saviour’s Church) and sometimes St. Trinitatis (The Church of the Holy Trinity).

The stone church was rebuilt and added to several times. Up until around 1150, it served as a parish church and was then left to the Premonstratensian Order in Lund when it became a monastery.

Following the dissolution of the monasteries in the early 14th century, the stone church became the parish church of Drotten. The church was later demolished during the Reformation. Remains from the time when it served as a monastery were also found during the excavations.

A museum has been created around the ruins that are open to the public and free of charge.