Kulturportal LUND

 

All Saints Church (Allhelgonakyrkan)

 

RK allhelgonakyrkanAll Saints Church is a church belonging to the Faculty of All Saints Parish of the Lund diocese. It is located about 600 meters north of Lund Cathedral. It became a parish church in 1962. 

The church was built in 1887 and inaugurated in 1891.  The person responsible for it being built was Bishop Johan Henrik Thomander (1798-1865), who considered Lund Cathedral too small for all its worshipers. The building is in Gothic Revival style and designed by Helgo Zettervall.

The church tower is 72 m high, thus Lund’s tallest structure and it can be seen far out over the plains. It has three bells. These were cast at Ohlsson’s bell foundry in Ystad and inaugurated in 1966 in time for the 75th anniversary of the church. In the high windows in the chancel are scenes depicting the Ascension of Christ. All were made in Innsbruck.

In the summer 2009, the church underwent extensive renovation work during which some 5000-6000 bricks were replaced.