Kulturportal LUND

 

The Drotten Church ruin museum

 

Drotten

The church ruin of Saint Drotten probably dates from 1050. It was an odd shaped 50 m. long building and probably the church of the bishop.

The remains of the medieval stone church were found during excavation work in the 1970s and 80s. During excavations, traces of an old wooden church were also found. It is believed that this was built by the Danish king Sweyn Forkbeard, which makes it the oldest church in Skåne. 

It remains unclear whether the name of the church in the Middle Ages really was Saint Drotten. According to maps and texts from the 12th century, the church was sometimes referred to as St. Salvator (Church of the Savior), and sometimes St. Trinitatis (Church of the Holy Trinity).

The stone church was rebuilt several times. Up until about 1150, it served as a parish church, after which it was taken over by the Premonstratensian Order in Lund as a monastery.

Following the dissolution of the monasteries in the early 14th century, it once again became a parish church until it was finally demolished during the Reformation. Remains of the monastery were also found during the excavation work.

A museum has been created around the ruin which is open to the public and free of charge.